To makeover a basic timber chair you should use three grits of sandpaper, which is called abrasive paper by the pros, and a cork sanding block.
1. The lower the grit, the courser it is. You’ll need 80, 120 and 240, which is always marked on the back of the sheet.
2. To use the sheets with a sanding block, tear them in half lengthways.
3. Position the block at the top then fold the paper over.
4. Fold the paper onto the block firmly and crease the edges to hold it in place.
5. Hold the loose edge of the paper against the block while sanding. When the surfaces become smooth and worn, unfold the block to reveal the un-touched layer, refold and continue.